Foundation phase culture
Cultural activities offered:
- Art club (Gr R)
- Eisteddfod participation
- Computer and Tablet Club (Gr 1 to Gr 2)
Culture is one of the foundational pillars of developing a well-balanced learner. At Curro Durbanville, learners are offered the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of cultural activities, from choir to drama. In this way, learners can develop a love for art, regardless of their abilities in sport or academics.
- Music tuition: Approximately 270 learners from Grade 1 to Grade 12 receive music tuition at Curro Durbanville. Tuition takes place during school hours.
- Eisteddfods: We take part in the Stellenbosch Eisteddfod, Tygerberg International Eisteddfod and the Cape Town Eisteddfod.
- Concerts: We organise various concerts during the year to give our music learners the opportunity to perform on stage. We also invite professional artists to perform at our school.
- Choirs: Curro Durbanville has three choirs: a junior choir (Grades 1 to 3), senior choir (Grades 4 to 7) and a high school choir (Grades 8 to 12).
- Competitions: Our learners also participate in various music competitions every year, e.g. the Johann Vos piano competition and the Hubert van der Spuy music competition for primary school learners. We have also had learners playing at the Hugo Lambrechts Concerto Festival.
Every two years the drama department presents a big production. Snow: A musical was staged in 2016, and in 2017 we are staged a children’s theatre production.
Learners have a chance to take part in a different art workshop every term. These workshops give learners who do not take art as a subject a chance to be creative and learn more about art. Workshops that have been presented include mosaic, woodwork and etching classes, dry point and darkroom printing.
Other activities offered by private tutors/coaches held on Curro Durbanville premises: