Senior and FET phase
Senior phase: Grade 7 and Grade 9
Our ethos is governed by Christian values (ethics and morals), where learners are encouraged to explore and express their individuality within acceptable boundaries, and ultimately take responsibility for their actions.
We guide them to follow their hearts and minds to develop into the best people they can be.
Our dynamic curriculum covers problem-solving, critical thinking and the development of skills and values. Both individual and group work are evaluated.
Curro Heritage House produces a community of teenagers who know how to think innovatively, express their ideas and take charge of their own lives.
Learners are prepared for the matriculation examinations set by the Independent Examinations Board (IEB).
In this phase the CAPS curriculum is implemented, with Mathematics allowing for a more focussed and problem-solving approach. The same literacy principles as in previous phases are included in the home language teaching, with a bigger emphasis on language. In the Science and Technology curriculum we focus not only on 21st century technology, but also on nanotechnology and a study of the Da Vinci inventions. This is all done with CAPS and the IEB in mind.
This phase provides a solid grounding from which learners can make informed decisions about the subjects they will take in Grade 10.
- English home language
- First additional language: Afrikaans
- First additional language: isiZulu
- Natural Sciences
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Physical Education
FET phase: Grade 10 to Grade 12
In the FET phase, learners make their subject choices. Curro offers learners a wide selection of subjects, enabling them to pursue these further for their chosen careers. Learners are thoroughly informed, enabling them to make wise choices, and are encouraged to include Mathematics and Science. In the FET phase emphasis is placed on thorough preparation for the IEB matric examination.
We are very aware that, at the end of their school careers, learners need to excel in their matric examination to ensure access to tertiary education institutions and selection for their areas of study. Although we take Grade 10 to Grade 12 very seriously, we realise that a purely examination-driven approach is not the answer. Curro has developed an additional inter-Curro subject-head system to ensure that we have quality assurance across schools. This system extends well beyond examinations and question banks, enabling educators to share resources, teaching ideas and material that can be used on tablets to enhance learning and the development of 21st century skills.
Some important points:
- Learners who choose to study Accounting, Physical Sciences or Information Technology in this phase will also be required to study Mathematics (core).
- Learners will be required to obtain a minimum of a D aggregate in Mathematics in Grade 9 in order to study these specified learning areas.
- Learners who opt to study Mathematical Literacy will therefore not be able to choose any of the above-mentioned subjects.
- Learners will not be allowed to change subject packages after the completion of their Grade 10 academic year.
Subject choice must include:
- English home language
- Afrikaans first additional language
- Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy
- Life Orientation
Leaners must select ONE subject from each group indicated below: