The Academic Support Centre is responsible for facilitating the implementation of programmes that will serve to encourage learners to develop a growth mindset, enhance their skills and experience self-confidence. We have a fundamental belief in promoting equity by acknowledging that all learners learn differently and attempts should therefore be made at understanding their thinking, learning and behaviour patterns. The Academic Support Center is a tutoring service that supports learners’ academic success and encourages learners’ independence by embracing diversity and promoting collaborative learning in positive and welcoming environments.
The goals of the Academic Support Centre
- Assessment of referred learners to ensure that possible difficulties/differences are identified and learning progress is monitored.
- Implementation of tailor-made programmes/accommodations aimed at improving and /or supporting identified difficulties related to learning, perception, thinking, attention, social, behavioural and/or emotional aspects.
- Working with an on-site multi-disciplinary team consisting of speech therapists, occupational therapists, learning support teachers and educational psychologists. This should promote effective communication between the various role players.
- Early identification and follow-up intervention geared towards minimizing possible future difficulties.
- Individualised and group-facilitated remediation to bridge Mathematics, spelling, reading and/or language delays.
- Study methods and test taking skills offered individually and annually from Grade 4 to 11.
- Career guidance and subject choice assessments for Grade 9 learners.
- School readiness assessments for all Group 5 and Grade R learners.
- Optional programme for gifted learners to promote enrichment.
- Parental guidance and support.