The academic life at Woodhill College is vibrant, challenging and rewarding for educators and learners alike. We are privileged to offer excellent facilities, outstanding educators who are dedicated and committed to providing top-class quality education. Our facilities afford us the opportunity to cater for smaller-sized classes, which ensures individual attention. At Woodhill College we have a holistic approach to education, thereby ensuring that when our learners graduate at the end of Grade 12 they are able to face the challenges of the outside world with maturity and confidence.

We believe that actions speak louder than words, and our Grade 12 examination results are testament to this. Woodhill College learners write the Independent Examinations Board's National Senior Certificate examinations at the end of their Grade 12 year. The IEB philosophy encourages independent thinking and exploration. The examination prepares learners for the style of teaching at university and the examinations are broad and challenging. Through user groups the IEB affords educators the opportunity to influence both the curriculum and assessment thereof.

Promotion requirements

Passing requirements for the National Senior Certificate examination (NSC)
To pass the NSC without a university entrance pass learners must meet the following requirements:

  • Obtain at least 40% in English
  • Obtain a minimum of 40% in any two other subjects
  • Obtain at least 30% in any three other subjects
  • A learner may fail one subject, i.e. obtain less than 30%, but must produce a completed portfolio (school-based assessment) of work in the subject

To pass the NSC with a university entrance pass learners must meet the following requirements:

  • Obtain at least 50% in four subjects
  • Obtain a minimum of 30% in two other subjects
  • Learners may fail one subject (obtain less than 30%), but must produce a completed portfolio of work in the subject failed
  • A minimum of 30% must be obtained for the language of instruction of the higher-education institution as certified by Umalusi


Assessment in the FET phase consists of two components:

  • An end-of-year exam constituting 75% of the total mark.
  • A portfolio of work compiled during the school year, constituting 25% of the total mark. Subjects with a practical component will contribute a further 25% to the portfolio component. The examination mark for all practical subjects (Design, Visual Art, CAT, Information Technology and Dramatic Arts) will be 50% of the total mark.