Academics

FURTHER EDUCATION AND TRAINING PHASE GRADES 10 TO 12

SEE LINK BELOW: IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE FET PHASE

ATTACHED PLEASE FIND THE OFFICIAL SCHOOL POLICY DOCUMENT

 

FET PHASE HEAD

IZAK NAGEL  izak.n@curro.co.za

At Curro Roodeplaat we are privileged to have outstanding educators who are dedicated and committed to providing top-class quality education. We have a holistic approach to education which helps to ensure that, at the end of Grade 12, learners are able to face the challenges of the outside world with maturity, confidence and with all the necessary tools and skills needed for success.

Curro Roodeplaat learners write the Independent Examinations Board's National Senior Certificate examinations at the end of their Grade 12 year. The IEB's philosophy encourages independent thinking and exploration and the examinations prepare learners for the style of teaching and assessment at tertiary level.

SUBJECTS IN THE FET

 

  SUBJECTS
Four compulsory subjects
  • English home language/Afrikaans huistaal
  • English first additional language/Afrikaans eerste addisionele taal
  • Mathematics/Mathematical Literacy
  • Life Orientation
Three elective subjects
  • A selection of those offered at Curro Roodeplaat

                      

 

Subjects offered  at Curro Roodeplaat (2016):

 

LEARNING AREA SUBJECTS
Economic and Management Sciences

Accounting

Business Studies

Physical and Life Sciences

Life Sciences

Physical Sciences

Engineering and Technology

Engineering Graphics and Design

Computer Application Technology

Arts and Culture

Visual Arts

Music (extra subject)

Human and Social Sciences

Geography

Life Orientation

Tourism

Languages

Afrikaans (home and add language)

English (home and add language)

Mathematical Sciences

Mathematics

Mathematical Literacy

AP Maths

 

 

 Promotion requirements

Seven levels of achievement are provided for:

Rating code Rating Marks
7 Outstanding achievement 80–100%
6 Meritorious achievement 70–79%
5 Substantial achievement 60–69%
4 Moderate achievement 50–59%
3 Adequate achievement 40–49%
2 Elementary achievement 30–39%
1 Not achieved 0–29%

 

 Passing requirements for the National Senior Certificate examination (NSC)

To pass the NSC without a university entrance pass, pupils must meet the following requirements:

  • Obtain at least 40% in English
  • Obtain a minimum of 40% in any two other subjects
  • Obtain at least 30% in any three other subjects
  • A pupil may fail one subject, i.e. obtain less than 30%, but must produce a completed portfolio (school-based assessment) of work in the subject

To pass the NSC with a university entrance pass, pupils must meet the following requirements:

  • Obtain at least 50% in four subjects
  • Obtain a minimum of 30% in two other subjects
  • Pupils may fail one subject (obtain less than 30%), but must produce a completed portfolio of work in the subject failed.

 

ASSESSMENT

Assessment in the FET phase consists of two components:

  • An end-of-year exam, forming 75% of the total mark.
  • A portfolio of work compiled during the school year, forming 25% of the total mark. Subjects with a practical component will contribute a further 25% to the portfolio component. The examination mark for all practical subjects such as Visual Art, CAT and EGD will be 50% of the total mark. Life Orientation is calculated slightly differently.